It’s a new school year. For most of us it’s a busy time – getting used to a new routine. Summer hours and flexibility are over.
If you’re a teacher you’re busy getting to know your new students and lesson planning. If you’re a parent, you’re busy trying to organize the family schedule and chauffeuring. If you’re a student you’re juggling school, assignments, jobs and various other activities. If you’re a performer, concert season is starting, so you'll be learning music, attending rehearsals and travelling.
Some of you might even be all of the above!
Sometimes in all this hectic scheduling we really do forget about making TIME for our SELF-CARE. This should be a non-negotiable part of your schedule. You will function better and end up more productive. You will be able to show up and be there for the people that matter in your life and for all the responsibilities you have.
On an airplane you are always instructed, in case of emergency, to place the oxygen mask on YOURSELF FIRST before helping others! This analogy is perhaps overused, but it’s true. You won’t be any good to anyone if you are ill, low in energy or full of brain fog. And your voice won’t be there for you either!
What does self-care entail – NUTRITION, EXERCISE and SLEEP.
Don’t have time for healthy meals or snacks?
Really that’s just an excuse. With just a little planning you can have healthy meals to keep you going:
1. Plan a menu for the week. Time saving recipes can include make ahead casseroles, slow cooker meals, and quick recipes – many HEALTHY MEALS can be made in 10 MINUTES OR LESS (less time than going to even a fast food restaurant). Save time by planning to make enough for leftovers for lunches or another dinner. Don’t forget about planning snacks.
2. Meal preparation for the week. Find a couple of hours in which to prepare a bunch of meals for the week. Make casseroles, cook grains like rice or quinoa, prep slow cooker meals, prep fruits and veggies, make energy bars.
3. Keep snacks in your bag like dried fruits and nuts. Or your homemade energy bars. Emergency snacks are great to have when your schedule goes awry. An unscheduled meeting and then a rehearsal to run to with no time to stop at home for a meal can leave you sapped of energy. If you must grab a bite somewhere, instead of going to a fast food joint, run into a grocery store and grab some fruit or a ready-to-go salad. There are healthy choices!
4. Drink a nutrient dense whole food shake. Most people just aren’t getting their fill of veggies (we should be having about 5 servings of veggies a day – minimum!). These shakes can be a great way to get them in. But be careful – not all shakes are created equally – many have added sugars, added vitamins and minerals (which are not as effectively used by the body in this form), and have other additives. My favourite is Shakeology (vegan chocolate and tropical strawberry flavours). It’s got not only veggies, but good quality plant-based protein, digestive enzymes, probiotics and adaptogens (these help the body adapt to stress).
5. Don’t skip meals. You need to keep up your energy for your hectic schedule. When you skip a meal, first of all it can affect your mood, energy level and attentiveness. Secondly, you are more likely to make poor food choices when you are feeling that gnawing hunger. I’ve been known to look at a fridge full of healthy options and still grab a bag of chips, just because I let my cravings overtake my sense. Finally, skipping meals can set your metabolism into starvation mode, which can lead to weight gain.
No time to exercise?
Again it’s really more of an excuse and you just need to re-adjust your mindset.
You don’t need to go to a gym and can incorporate a lot of movement into your day. If you're looking to build strength or lose weight you only need 30 minutes a day to get great results.
That still too much time? – I can give you a WORKOUT that will only take 10 MINUTES A DAY.
Need some extra motivation? Why not join The Fit Singer’s Vibrant Body Vibrant Voice Club for some inspiration – it’s free.
With all the things I need to do in my daily schedule, going to the gym or even meeting with friends for a workout doesn’t happen too often. Being able to workout from home is fantastic! Sometimes I do my own thing, but when I want an extra push I love doing video workouts. Insanity Max 30 and PiYo are my favourites! I can even do them when I travel! Find out more about at home workouts here.
Don’t have time to sleep?
Yes you do.
If you get your sleep (7-9 hours), you will be able to do more in the day than if you only slept 5 hours. No kidding! SLEEP!!!! I'm not talking about the occasional late night.
If you are consistently not getting enough sleep and/or suffer insomnia then there's a problem that can have far reaching consequences. Learn strategies to get you sleeping better here: Are You Getting Enough Sleep?
Your long-term health depends on it!
Sometimes we know we should be doing these things, but aren't sure where to start. So let me help you. Join our FREE 21 Day Lifestyle Challenge as part of The Fit Singer's Vibrant Body Vibrant Voice Club. Just sign up to be part of this private Facebook group and learn practical tips and strategies to get you on track.
Hi, I'm so glad you found my wellness coaching site. I am a singer, voice teacher of over 20 years, certified personal trainer and nutrition coach.
A singer is a vocal athlete. Just like an athlete, a singer requires strength, agility and stamina. I teach singers to take care of their instrument, their body, through a holistic approach encompassing fitness, whole food nutrition, mindfulness and natural solutions.
In joining me you will learn:
Take a transformative journey to become an empowered singer that performs with outrageous confidence. Go from feeling exhausted, worried about your vocal folds, deprived, overwhelmed and stuck, to feeling comfortable in your own skin, completely energized, with renewed mental clarity and reinvigorated in a matter of weeks.
Don't let your hectic schedule keep you from eating healthy! Get your FREE Busy Singer's Guide to Eating Healthy on the Go.